History 2

Church Features

The arch between nave and crossing is decorated with painted scrollwork, of slightly earlier date than the painting of St John the Baptist (c.1340) on the south side of the south-west pier.
A fine oak chancel screen - 14th century was extended by a local craftsman when the chancel arch was cleared in 1928-30.
The chancel contains a late 13th/early 14th century priest’s door in the south-east corner, and a blocked 15th century doorway in the north-west corner which once led to the vestry
The reredos is quite recent (20th century)
Ancient stained glass fragments remain.
An original 13th century transept window survives in the east wall of the clergy vestry.
The church belfry has circular openings on each side which appear small in proportion to the massive tower.  This particular feature of the church indicates its great age as belfry openings grew in size over time.  A cupola crowns the top and contains the original 12th century bell - regarded as the oldest in East Anglia


History
Webpage icon History 4
Webpage icon History 3